In the 1960’s Boleh was loaned to the Island Cruising Club (ICC), joining their illustrious fleet of classic boats Hoshi, Provident and Nicholette. The ICC, based in Island Street, Salcombe (now the home of Salcombe Gin), was founded in 1951 and by the 1960’s had become a major sail training organisation for young people. Boleh remained with the ICC until moving to Dover in 1963 to become Sail Training Vessel for the Junior Leaders’s Regiment, Royal Engineers.
Picture shows Boleh in 1961 – signature Dragon Pennant at the peak – setting out from Salcombe with a crew of Naval cadets for a fortnight’s sail training. With ICC Skipper John Norris in charge, Boleh’s itinerary included visits to Plymouth, Dartmouth, Lezardrieux , St Peter Port and Alderney before returning to Salcombe.
Find out more about The Island Cruising Club: www.islandcruisingclub.com/our-island-story